SCHOOL OF SMACK - INSTAGRAM STORIES SMACKDOWN
04/08/2016 | BY AALIA WALKER
IN A NUTSHELL
Instagram has launched Instagram Stories, allowing users to post photos and videos in a slideshow format before they expire 24 hours later.
Sound familiar? Ahem, well they’ve definitely been influenced by the Snapchat format but to their credit they’ve made it a lot easier to use.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
- Instagram Stories allows you to accessorise your videos and photos with text, emojis, and colourful paint-like drawings
- The image size cannot be edited: It must be a full screen vertical rectangle, larger than the original Instagram square
- Every user has an Instagram Story which can be viewed by clicking their profile picture at the top of the Instagram browser as a slideshow of everything the user has posted to their story in the past 24 hours
- You can view the story of everyone you follow in a large slideshow
- Stories allows you to view who’s seen your Instagram story and in what order
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW?
- Instagram Stories appears at the top of the Instagram browser so your account could be the first thing people see when they open the app
- It provides you with the opportunity for temporary promotions and takeovers without clogging up your profile
- Being allowed to see who views your Instagram Story provides rare analytics and insights
- Users are also able to block certain followers from seeing their stories
- Instagram Stories has already attracted a lot of attention and will soon be accessible by everyone who uses Instagram
- A lot of users find Snapchat difficult to navigate, Stories makes it easier and is likely to take market share from Snapchat as a result
- The millennial audience – who like their privacy - are likely to be attracted to the photos disappearing after 24 hours
- There’s been a backlash from Snapchat fans accusing Instagram of blatant copying
- Some Instagram traditionalists have expressed their dismay at the new feature
- Photos and videos must either be taken live or have been put into your camera roll in the last 24 hours which makes scheduling posts tricky for now
- Some people have complained that the update takes up too much space or is making their Instagram slower
HOW CAN YOU GET INVOLVED?
Instagram Stories is the perfect chance to launch a short promotional campaign or flash sale. There will also be no public trace of the campaign after it is finished which can be favourable for events such a promo offers.
Instead of clogging up your Instragram grid, you can use Instagram stories to countdown to launches and events. Use Instagram Stories to drop hints, give behind the scenes footage, and humanise your brand.
Expected features include:
- More extravagant AR filters
- Geo-location filters
- Paid, promotional filters
- Personally edited slideshows
- Lengthening or shortening the lifespan of your story
- Paid advertisements to feature on users’browsers
HOW WE CAN HELP
SMACK is an award winning digital creative and marketing studio ahead of the trends.We can advise you on how you can use the latest trends to your advantage and incorporate Instagram Stories in to your strategy. We helped Mecca Bingo use Pokemon Go to their advantage… the campaign reached 0.5m users in just one week.
If you’d like advice on developing your own Instagram Stories strategy or campaign, then just contact: